Media Matters for America -- a progressive, Washington, D.C.-based, nonprofit research and information center dedicated to comprehensively monitoring, analyzing, and correcting conservative misinformation in the U.S. media -- seeks a candidate with strong research instincts, intellectual curiosity, and enthusiasm for our mission to join our News Department team as a Rapid Response Researcher.
This is a full-time position and will be remote through at least Labor Day 2021 due to the continued COVID-19 public health crisis, with potential for long-term remote flexibility for the right candidate.
The Rapid Response Researcher works with a small but growing rapid response team to tackle emerging conservative misinformation from high-profile targets. This includes both rigorous monitoring and content production, such as clips and written content posted to the Media Matters website. The Rapid Response Researcher will also assist in gathering internal research, often around breaking news events. Researchers are generalists who must both quickly get up to speed on the stories of the day and develop specialized knowledge on certain repeat misinformers and high-priority topics.
- The Rapid Response Researcher reports to the News Director.
- This is not a managerial position.
- Closely track a small suite of outlets, programs, or figures across media. This will include drafting summaries and memos about trends and narratives.
- Contribute to organization-wide pool of daily media monitoring by tracking and internally flagging select broadcast, cable, radio, print, and online news stories, as well as social media monitoring as assigned.
- Utilize multiple media recording applications to archive television, radio, and online streaming programs, as necessary.
Rapid Response Content Creation
- Synthesize emerging trends and become familiar with the key narratives/stories that Media Matters is advancing, ultimately furthering those narratives/stories with rapid response content on Media Matters’ website and/or social media.
- Draft and publish identified clips that present context and facts in a compelling, streamlined way.
- Edit transcripts for posting to the Media Matters website, as assigned.
- Identify and pitch opportunities for rapid response content based on research or monitoring assignments and expertise.
- Complete timely, short-term research assignments as assigned, using Media Matters’ internal databases, external research tools, and/or independent online research.
- Assist other teams and researchers with research needs as assigned/necessary.
- Attention to detail while working in a fast-paced work environment.
- Basic familiarity with video files and posting them to the internet.
- Ability to change projects quickly.
- Experience identifying rapid response moments, including:
- Knowledge of social media and conservative media monitoring.
- Demonstrated knowledge of how misinformation starts and spreads.
- Understanding of how to use powerful, timely storytelling and social media clips to rebut emerging narratives.
- Keen understanding of the challenges of rapid response work and an ability to problem solve effectively.
- Open to creative approaches for deploying rapid response research.
- Understanding of progressive issues.
- Alignment with Media Matters’ work culture, including:
- Interest in media and the effects conservative misinformation has on our public debate, and an understanding of Media Matters’ mission and work.
- Ability to operate effectively both independently and in a team setting.
- Demonstrated ability to meet tight deadlines on a daily basis, organize long-lead projects, and quickly adapt to new challenges in a fast-paced news cycle.
- Ability to prioritize and manage simultaneous assignments and quickly synthesize information about new topics.
- Receptivity and responsiveness to both concrete and abstract feedback.
- Dedication to accuracy, with the ability to prioritize and give keen attention to detail.
Compensation: Media Matters for America offers competitive compensation and a comprehensive benefits package. This role is part of the Media Matters Union represented by the Service Employees International Union Local 500. The salary for this position starts at $42,000 and is commensurate with experience or expertise.
How to Apply:
Please visit https://www.mediamatters.org/jobs to apply through our online portal. No phone calls, please.
Media Matters for America is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value a diverse workforce and strongly encourage applicants of all backgrounds to apply, regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, or disability.