Media Matters for America—a progressive, Washington, D.C.-based, nonprofit research and information center dedicated to comprehensively monitoring, analyzing, and correcting conservative misinformation in the U.S. media—seeks a candidate with expertise in media relations and rapid response outreach and management to serve as the Media Relations Manager.
The Media Relations Manager works to improve media coverage of Media Matters’ daily content, brand, and research and data expertise. The person in this position will lead on rapid-response media outreach around MMFA content and breaking news, compiling press releases and talking points, creation and maintenance of strong relationships with media contacts, and daily outreach to print/online and broadcast contacts and outlets to pitch and story shape around both Media Matters and related breaking news.
- The Media Relations Manager reports to the Deputy Communications Director.
Pitches Media Matters content aligned with the breaking news cycle.
- Aggressively books Media Matters spokespeople for print/online and television opportunities, and ensures that television producers, reporters, and pundits are aware of the content that we produce daily. This involves:
o Building and maintaining relationships with producers and bookers in an effort to promote the work and mission of Media Matters.
Monitors daily news cycle for relevant areas to integrate Media Matters’ voice and answers urgent press/media requests in a timely manner.
- Leads on drafting press releases, statements, op-eds, media advisories, talking points, and other press-facing materials for targeted press contacts.
Maintains lists of print, broadcast, and other media contacts to proactively pitch on a daily and weekly basis.
- Has shared supervision (with the Deputy Communications Director) of the communications associate, who provides day-to-day support for the Communications Department including booking and preparing staff for radio and podcast interviews, building media lists, and performing research as needed for press requests.
- At least 5 years of PR or media relations experience preferably in the nonprofit or public sector and/or in politics.
Excellent storytelling abilities and capacity to frame Media Matters’ content in a clear and compelling way to external audiences.
- Comprehensive understanding of AP style and grammar to review and copy edit press releases, statements, email marketing materials, blogs, and pitch memos.
- Experience securing impactful press placements, thinking outside the box to create media moments, and identifying elements with viral potential.
Interest in media and understanding of the effects conservative misinformation has on the public debate, plus understanding of working within the 24-hour news cycle.
- Strategic thinker who brings new ideas to the table and love a good brainstorm.
- Ability to quickly synthesize information about new topics.
- Proven track record of strong oral and written communications skills.
- Likes teamwork, but can work independently day-to-day.
- Ability to plan and manage under a tight deadline.
- Ability to multitask and adjust in fast-paced and high-pressure situations.
Media Matters for America offers competitive compensation and a comprehensive benefits package.
How to Apply:
Please visit https://www.mediamatters.org/jobs to apply through our online portal. Please include a portfolio. Feel free to include links to your social media accounts or website. No phone calls, please. We can respond only to candidates whom we are contacting for an interview.
Media Matters for America is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value a diverse workforce and strongly encourage applicants of all backgrounds to apply, regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, or disability.